Rhythm Wigs Care Instructions
Congratulations! You’ve invested in a premium kinky/curly Rhythm Wig! The following information was developed to help you keep it looking good and extending its longevity.
As you enjoy the style options and flexibility of a wig, we also encourage you to take loving care of your own hair under the wig as well. The products and techniques recommended here can work wonderfully on your own hair.
Things to Know & Do
- Wigs should not be washed more than is necessary. Washing affects its longevity
- Use a minimum amount of styling products to avoid the need to wash it frequently
- Apply products sparingly to avoid a wiggy look from too much build-up
- Wearing a wig cap underneath will also extend the life of your wig. The wig cap will help absorb scalp oils, keeping them away from the base of the cap.
- To reduce shedding, brush or comb the hair while wet only. Expect some shedding of your wig as normal.
- Direct sunlight will fade the hair so avoid storing your wig where it will be exposed to light.
Guidelines for Care
*A wig stand and WiGrip are included with every Rhythm Wig purchase.
Recommended Products (Use these gentle, natural products on your own hair also)
- Sulfate-free shampoo, conditioner and leave-in conditioner. We use Hairizon’s custom products. We use Custom Conditioner, Cleansing Conditioner (for most cleansing, little build up) and Shampoo (to remove heavy product build up)
- Light oils e.g. safflower, sunflower, flaxseed, jojoba, sweet almond). We use Hairizon’s safflower, sunflower, flaxseed oil blend. To order, select these options: Vitamin E, Safflower, Flaxseed and indicate “Rhythm Wigs scent” or your desired scent/unscented.
- Alcohol-free curl styling gel. We use Hairion’s You Go, Curl!
- Detangling brush. We use Wet Brush Original Detangler
- Styling brush. We use Denman 9 Row Large
- Large cotton T-shirt for drying hair
- Hair dryer with diffuser
Do not brush hair while dry. Start by getting wig hair thoroughly wet under cool (never use hot water) running water in bathtub or shower.
Apply a palm full of co-wash (or shampoo) evenly over the hair. Do not twist or rub. Gently squeeze the product along the length of the hair from the base to the tips of the hair.
Use a detangling brush to gently but thoroughly detangle the hair while distributing the cleansing product through hair. Work from ends to root being extra careful not to tug at the hair in the wig closure section. This is the most delicate part of the wig.
Use cool water to rinse all product from the hair, allowing the water to flow over the hair from the base to the tips. Do not rub, wring or twist, just squeeze along the length of the hair to remove water from the base to the tips of the hair.
While the hair is still wet, apply a palm full of conditioner into the hair. Avoid putting conditioner to the base of the wig closure as it can loosen the knots on the cap, causing hair loss to your hair piece. Use a detangling brush to gently distribute conditioner through hair. Leave the conditioner in the hair for 3-5 minutes.
Thoroughly rinse the conditioner from the hair under cool running water. Do not rub, wring or twist, just squeeze along the length of the hair to remove water from the base to the tips of the hair. Do not blot hair yet.
Moisturize using the LCO Method. This refers to the order in which you apply liquid (water), cream (leave-in-conditioner), and oil to the hair to seal in moisture.
Since the hair is already wet, next apply a small amount of leave-in conditioner. Next add a quarter-sized amount of oil to palm, rub together and apply to hair. Use a detangling brush to gently distribute conditioner through hair. Do not use too much oil. A little goes a long way.
Lock in Curls
Apply a dime-sized amount of curl styling gel through hair. (optional, use when you want more curl definition & hold)
If you want a part in your wig, make it now. Using the Denman styling brush, slowly brush through the hair. The slow brushing process will cause clumping of hair for beautiful curl definition. Brush through until you are satisfied with the level of clumping.
If the hair is still dripping wet, use a t-shirt to remove any excess liquid.
Use a diffuser on high speed/warm heat setting to dry hair.
Alternatively, wrap hair in a t-shirt and dry overnight